12 Jun 2010

Good books

A couple of weeks ago I've started reading Maksim Gorky's short stories that I haven't read before. I really recommend it to you if you are looking for something interesting and easy to read. They have various themes and great vocabulary.
Among the stories I've read there was the one called "Убийцы" ("The killers"), and it really impressed me. It is truly amazing, how the things he spoke about almost a century ago are still up-to-date now. People really don't change (and that's incredibly sad sometimes). Here is an expert from that story that impressed me the most - as if it was said by a modern person today about our society:

"Известно, что человек, чувствуя себя центром внимания ближних, уродливо распухает и кажется сам себе значительнее, больше, чем он есть на самом деле. Мы слишком часто надуваем человека нашим любопытством; возможно, что отчасти поэтому наши политические и иные герои так недолговечны и так легко лопаются. И поэтому же мы, в нашем стремлении создать хотя бы маленького героя, так часто создаем большого дурака".

I think that is so true.
If some of you need translation let me know, or use the help of google translate.

No comments:

Post a Comment